Monday, March 15, 2010

Week 10 of 52 - March 2010

This week brings some new and different signs of spring for me. One of the many enjoyable elements of spring is the return migration of birds especially waterfowl. This first picture is a somewhat unique capture for my area of a drake canvasback duck in the foreground with a drake redhead duck right behind it. Canvasbacks are still fairly uncommon in my area although conservation efforts have done wonders to restore their numbers. I always am amazed at their unique qualities from the shapes of their heads to the red eye of the canvasback and gold eye of the redhead.

Photobucket

The next two pictures involve one of my favorite spring activities; the spring turkey hunting season. From the pursuit of spring turkeys to their amazingly great taste on the table it is one of my favorite things to do. Every year I try to add a new turkey call or two and I had a couple arrive in the mail. Both are made by the same gentleman. The first is a box call hand-crafted of solid maple. The inlays are done by hand as well. This call really sings and the hard wood makes a loud high-pitched yelp; perfect for getting the attention of Kansas turkeys in our wide-open windy conditions. The second call is an owl hooter and does just that, replicates the hoot of an owl. Turkeys respond to these sounds which helps in locating them. These calls are crafted and tuned like a musical instrument and many of the top callmakers have one or two year waiting lists for their calls.

Wish me luck this spring, I wish I could have you over to enjoy the results. My favorite recipe for wild turkey is a cajun style that is served over rice and includes lots of spices, garlic, jalapenos, onions, bacon, and lots of butter! To quote the chef that shared it with me "don't get any on your forehead, your tongue will beat your brains out"! Hopefully I will have pics of this tasty treat come April / May!


Photobucket

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. The waterfoul are a gorgeous capture! Very unique, I've never seen those.
    Great colors in that wood piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos, and I learned all sorts of things from your post! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome photos Gary. The waterfoul look so cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. great shots! I've been turkey hunting once and only once, way to cold and early for my blood haha! But I did have fun learning how to use the calls! GL this spring!

    ReplyDelete